To the visitor, Noto is an orgyin baroque expects. The small town in the south of the province Syracuse has approximately 20,000 inhabitants, but churches and palaces for a city ten times as large. 19 monasteries are still added to the 23 usually large powerful places of worship and 19 aristocracy palaces, furthermore enormous, sometimes monumentally expressed outside-staircases and representative roads and places. The splendour and greatness have particularly during deep standing sun something disturbingly unreal.
Here the Sicilian upper class and aristocracy have set themselves in 18. Century an orgiastic seeming, enormous monument. The baroque old part of town, which ranks like Syracuse among the world cultural heritage of mankind, developed in less than 80 years, after the old, far land inward convenient Noto had been destroyed in the year 1693 by a devastating earthquake. The best impression of the total ensemble of the city plant, for whose implementation the best architects of that time were engaged, sketched on the drawing board, parallel kept on with a course over via Cauvour and over that to it to running Corso Vittorio Emanuele. The environment of Noto waits on with similarly magnificent baroque buildings, which were developed after the earthquake: Avola, which becomes estimated with the Sicilians because of its almonds, removed the small town Módica with the church San Giorgio only 8 kilometres, to which an outside staircase with 250 stages leads up, and which still is another piece of the further west lying bishop town and province capital Ragusa, in which two districts are separated pictorial by a deep ravine.