Baglio Campofranco is a splendid Sicilyn Manor, surrounded by 15 hectares of land with apricot and carob trees and a large swimming pool, the perfect location for a truly relaxing holiday with family and friends and a great starting point for exploring the treasures of Southern Sicily, including the Baroque cities of Scicli, Ragusa Ibla and Modica. The ‘Baglio’ is a typical Sicilyn building, most likely a medieval Norman invention and composes of low buildings surrounding a fortified courtyard and a strong gate. An architectural design somewhere in-between a fort and a castle.
The villa with swimming pool (17m x 7m) lies on a hill, only a short distance from the coast and the lovely sandy beaches of Donnalucata and Plaja Grande which are only a 10 minutes drive from the villa. The many outdoor areas of the villa, including the charming inner courtyard, the spacious pool area, the secret herb garden, the gazebo and the roof terrace (with sea-view) invite guests to enjoy ‘dining al fresco, having afternoon tea in the herb garden, relaxing and reading, sun bathing and many more activities. There is also a ping pong table available for some extra fun.
The walls of Baglio Campofranco fence in a residential complex of about 600 square meters (150 of which are the courtyard) and comprises of a day and a night zone. From the courtyard a staircase leads up to the upper terrace, from where you have a wonderful view of over the hills and the sea.
The Building: The stones from which the Baglio was built in 2011 were recovered from the ruins of the original, 18th century building. The courtyard of the property forms a central point, connecting lounge, kitchen, bedroom and bathrooms. The partially covered courtyard, flanked by a stunning palm tree, is the ideal meeting place for breakfast, followed by a refreshing dip in the pool. Due to the thick walls of the property it is very well insulated against the heat (and cold) and the temperatures inside stay mild even during the hottest summer months.
Location: The property is located on the edge of the nature reserve 'Irminio Biosphere Reserve', named after the river that springs from the 'Monti Iblei' and flows to the sea at Scicli. The reserve is ideal for hiking in a lush, unique, diverse landscape. The heart of the reserve is only 10 minutes drive from the villa. Long sandy beaches which are also not too crowded in summer, can be found in Donnalucata an ancient fishing village within 5 km distance. Already described by the Greek and today boasting 3500 inhabitants, it is known far and wide for its fish market. According to legend the goddess of fertility and harvest 'Demeter' or 'Ceres' as named by the Romans, provided a particularly good spring of fresh water for Donnalucata. The main town of Scicli (Donnalucata, the adjacent Sampieri and Campofranco are locations under Scicli) is only about 10 minutes by car and is famous for its beautiful Sicilyn Baroque architecture. The location of the Baglio also lends itself to exploring the famous baroque cities of Ragusa Ibla, Modica, Noto and even Siracusa. This is also the region where the famous ‘Montalbano’ TV series is being filmed. The beach house of the ‘Commissario Montalbano’ can be visited in Punta Secca, only about 15 minutes drive from the villa.
Every morning the maid cleans and resets the bedrooms, bathrooms and living room. The lovely caretaker lives in the property nearby and is always happy to help with any queries.
Interior of the villa
- large villa
- living/dining room with television and DVD player
- fireplace in living room (wood)
- 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms
- satellite antenna and cable television
- laundry room with washing machine and tumble dryer
- kitchen with gas hob, electric oven, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer, coffee machine, electric kettle, mixer, toaster, juicer and water dispenser
Bedrooms and bathrooms
- 4 bedrooms, each with double bed and bathroom en-suite
- bedroom with 4 bunk beds and bathroom en-suite
- en-suite bathroom with single washbasin, bath, shower, bidet, toilet and hairdryer
- 4 en-suite bathrooms, each with single washbasin, shower, bidet, toilet and hairdryer
- bathroom with single washbasin, bidet and toilet
- total of 6 bathrooms
Exterior of the villa
- large plot
- private pool measuring 17m x 7m and 2,4m deep
- 3 terraces, of which 2 covered
- outdoor shower
- outside sitting area and outside dining area
- 2 private covered parking spaces and 2 private parking spaces
- roof terrace
- nearest town: Donnalucata 8 km (within 10 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest riverbank or shore: Plaja Grande (within 5 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest beach: Plaja Grande (within 5 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest port: Donnalucata 8 km (within 10 kilometers of the villa)
- nearest airport: Comiso 45 km (within 50 kilometers of the villa)
- second nearest airport: Catania 123 km ( > 100 kilometers of the villa)
- please consult if pets are allowed
- The accommodation is very suitable for families with children
Features and services included in the rental price of the villa
- internet (WiFi)
- vacuum cleaner and iron and ironing board
- bed linen and towels
- maid service and laundry service
- table tennis
- 2 children beds/cots (on demand)
Features and services at extra charge
- cook service and babysit service
Entertainment and leisure activities for your holidays in Donnalucata, Sicily
- bar (within 5 kilometers of the house)
Sights and culture in Donnalucata, Sicily
- church (Scicli 9 km), palace (Scicli 9 km) and historic place (Scicli 9 km) (within 10 kilometers from the accommodation)
- museum (Santa Croce Camarina 16 km) and castle (Donnafugata 22 km) (within 25 kilometers from the accommodation)
- mountainbiking (within 1000 meters of the villa)
- tennis, horse riding, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, surfing and waterskiing (within 5 kilometers of the villa)
- diving (within 10 kilometers of the villa)
Please note that for this accommodation a security deposit of € 1.000,00 is required. For more information please see our Rental Conditions.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW: The prices for Villa Baglio Campofranco in Donnalucata are indicated on the price list per week including additional costs. This does not mean that you should always rent a week. Outside the high season you can freely choose your arrival and departure day by clicking on the availability calendar the desired dates, the rent is automatically calculated.